Thursday, 23rd April 2020
New figures show the Gold Coast experienced a shocking amount of job losses, before the coronavirus pandemic.
LNP Deputy Leader and Shadow Treasurer Tim Mander said the Gold Coast suffered the highest monthly number of job losses in Queensland during March.
“In the last
month alone, 1600 Gold Coast locals lost their job, while 4400 jobs were wiped
out in a year,” Mr Mander said.
“The Gold Coast was in terrible shape before Coronavirus, thanks to Annastacia Palaszczuk and Jackie Trad’s economic mismanagement.
“The number of unemployed Gold Coast locals is approaching 20,000 while youth unemployment has soared to 13.4%, which is further proof that Labor isn’t working.
“The LNP’s plan to build a second M1 means more jobs and greater economic opportunities for the region.
“Queensland has had the highest average unemployment rate and most bankruptcies in the nation during this term of government.
“Only the LNP can deliver a strong economy, more local high paying jobs and more opportunities for the Gold Coast.”
Gold Coast Unemployment, ABS.
- YoY 4,400 locals lost their jobs
- MoM 1,600 locals lost their jobs (largest loss in the state)
- YoY Number of unemployed locals has increased by 3,000 to a total of 19,600 (largest increase in the state)
- YoY – unemployment rate increased by 0.9% to 5.5%
- YoY – 8,400 locals lost their jobs (largest loss in the state)
- YoY – unemployment rate increased by 4.6% to 13.4%