28 October 2020
A Deb Frecklington LNP Government will deliver a comprehensive plan to supercharge state’s resources sector to deliver a decade of secure jobs for Queenslanders.
LNP Leader Deb Frecklington said the LNP would provide secure jobs and royalty security as part of a plan to get Queensland working again.
“Queenslanders have a clear choice between an anti-resources Labor government that stalls mining projects and shuts projects down like New Acland Stage 3, or the LNP which will fast track approvals and open up the Galilee Basin,” Ms Frecklington said.
“Queensland has the worst unemployment rate in the nation with more than 209,000 people out of work, so it is essential that we lock in our existing jobs and have a vision to grow our resources sector – something our 10-year royalties guarantee provides.
“The LNP is the only party with a comprehensive plan for rural and regional Queensland’s resources industry and to secure the thousands of jobs the sector will deliver.”
The LNP’s plan to support the gas and resources industry includes:
- Open up the Galilee Basin to develop $50 billion worth of projects that will support 15,000 jobs
- A new Queensland Infrastructure Fund to collect and invest royalties from the Galilee Basin in new infrastructure across the state
- A 10-year royalties guarantee to provide investment certainty for the resources industry
- A commitment of $8 million for minerals exploration
- Cutting the crippling electricity costs faced by the mineral sector
- A dedicated Deputy Coordinator-General to manage the coordinated development of the all-important North-West Minerals Provence, based in Townsville
- An energy audit to look at how we can bring down bills for industry and encourage more investment that creates jobs
- A commitment to fully implement the CopperString 2.0 in partnership with the Federal Government
- A new Queensland Resources Industry Commissioner to promote the state to international investors (a position terminated by the Palaszczuk Labor Government)
- A faster approvals process, with key performance indicators tracked and published to restore industry confidence in the Queensland Government.
LNP Shadow Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and North Queensland Dale Last said the LNP’s plan for Queensland also includes a no-new-tax guarantee and cheaper electricity prices for regional areas, delivered through the introduction of retail price competition.
“The LNP’s plan will support businesses throughout the resources supply chain by saving manufactures around 20% on their electricity costs under the new $493 million scheme,” Mr Last said.
“The LNP is committed to providing the regulatory and investment framework for long term growth to benefit thousands of workers throughout Queensland.
“Those jobs ensure the survival of many regional communities – including many throughout my electorate.
“The LNP is also the only party that has a plan to properly develop the $680 billion North-West Minerals Province as well as thousands of jobs that will flow across North Queensland.
“As we travel across North Queensland people tell us that Labor has no clear strategy for developing the North West Minerals Province.
“That’s not good enough and that is why the LNP is acting.
“Only the LNP has a plan to ensure the safety of hard working miners by undertaking a parliamentary inquiry into mine safety after Labor’s atrocious track record.
“Only the LNP will restore confidence and secure the new investment that the regions are crying out for – and we’ll start by approving the New Acland expansion.
“Only the LNP has a plan to create a stronger economy and to get Queensland working again.”