Monday, 11 May 2020
Queensland miners and their communities have been left waiting for action on mine safety while Annastacia Palaszczuk today tries to pick up the pieces from yet another internal Labor integrity scandal.
Liberal National Party Shadow Minister for Mines Dale Last said Queenslanders deserved answers following the shocking tragedy at Moranbah last week.
“While Labor continues to dither on mine safety in Queensland, eight lives have been lost in 21 months in our mines and quarries,” Mr Last said.
“In contrast to Labor, the LNP has repeatedly called for a full parliamentary inquiry into safety in the Queensland resources industry.
“A full bipartisan parliamentary inquiry into mine safety is the only way that the community, industry and workers can have their say on what really is going on in the mines.
“It’s understood that Cabinet will be considering the next steps to take on mine safety in Queensland today and we implore the Palaszczuk Labor Government to do the right thing.
“Anything short of decisive action to set up a full bipartisan parliamentary inquiry will fail Queenslanders.
“Queensland’s mine and quarry workers, their families and their communities shouldn’t have to put up with even more delays from a government that clearly doesn’t put the safety of workers first.
“Mine workers deserve safe and secure jobs.
“Only the LNP will continue to fight for a parliamentary inquiry into mine safety, because Annastacia Palaszczuk and embattled Minister Anthony Lynham aren’t taking the issue seriously.”